The Defense Ventures Team
Shift’s Defense Ventures team is on a four-year mission to create the best in class industry immersion upskilling experience for employees of the U.S. Military. Our program places over 800 members of the Department of Defense, in the midst of their career, into leading venture capital and technology businesses across Silicon Valley and the United States. We are using these experiences to develop a talent platform that will allow us to assess, select, and track emerging innovators through the program and beyond.
Location: Shift is headquartered in San Francisco, but the Defense Ventures Team is primarily remote. We are open to candidates based anywhere in the United States, but we have strong preferences for San Francisco, New York City, Washington DC, and Austin, TX. Once it is safe to travel, there will be some travel required, and you should expect to travel for the program and co-location workshops for approximately 6 weeks of the year.
While we know why Shift exists, and how we want to approach what we do, what we do at Shift is developing and changing fast. You will join a team of innovators, builders and operators who are defining new products and services, working together to define the value proposition and bring them to market. In 2021, we will be placing ~200 employees of the Department of Defense at top technology and venture capital companies across the country.
We will be looking to you to work with our community and curriculum director to facilitate the programming of our weekly events and activities that run in parallel, to help plan our annual conference and executive seminars, and to be our chief historian, collecting and compounding the amazing knowledge and experience that our fellows create during their experiences.
- Oversee the event calendar for the Defense Ventures Fellowship
- Planning events and logistics at physical or virtual venues
- Agenda creation and formatting
- Create and own event production timelines
- Speaker scheduling and management – confirming speaking dates/times, vetting, gathering session descriptions, compiling bios/photos, collecting presentations, follow up, thank yous
- Tracking and reporting on all details of meeting attendees and speakers
- Invitee List management, tracking and reporting
- Create cost plans/structures for events, produce within budget, and track all spending and invoicing
- Liaise with any external partners for the production and execution of any event logistics
- 1:1 interaction with the Fellowship applicants, Fellows, and alumni.
- Point person for day of event and ensuring events are produced and run smoothly.
- Manage event and program, ensuring efficiencies and streamlining while still delivering a cutting-edge event
- On-site or virtual (via Zoom) management and facilitation/moderation of events
- Post-event survey creation, distribution and analysis
- Development of our curriculum into our learning management system.
- Manage special projects as they arise in conjunction with leadership team
- Provide administrative support related to Leadership Development programming
- Conceptualize event requirements based on goals, audience, event type, budget
Qualified candidates should have/be:
- 2-4 years relevant work experience related to event management, account management, marketing, or customer/client service.
- Highly responsible, self-motivated, and able to thrive in an energetic, fast-paced environment
- Competent in effective project management, research and strong attention to detail
- Ability to work closely with the team as well as independently; client-service oriented; highly organized; detail oriented; technologically savvy; ability to multitask in a fast paced environment; ability to take initiative, maintain high standards of professional conduct and exercise good business judgment; adaptable to change; excellent written, verbal, presentation and interpersonal communication skills; desire to grow professionally into progressive role a plus
- Literate in G-Suite, CRM and Marketing technologies (mailchimp, hootsuite, etc)
- Strong team player who can build relationships at all levels of the organization
Founded in 2016 and based in San Francisco, California, Shift is a labor marketplace for current and former members of the U.S. Military to discover careers, acquire and demonstrate new skills, and embark upon new job experiences at the best companies in the United States. From active duty service members in the midst of their military career to veterans who have made the transition to civilian life, Shift’s community platform allows its members to engage in career development services that keep them competitive in the current and future economy. Shift’s talent acquisition services provide our corporate partners with a talent pipeline of diverse, non-traditional, experienced and prepared candidates. Shift is a veteran-founded small business backed by Andreessen Horowitz, Expa, and Structure Capital.
Perks + Benefits
We offer competitive and comprehensive packages. Our benefits offering includes 401k, medical, dental, and vision insurance. Employees have the option to choose from a range of PPO and HMO plans. We also offer pre-tax commuter benefits, pre-tax FSA and Dependent Care FSA plans, as well as flexible PTO, and ten paid holidays. There are additional perks and benefits, which we are happy to tell you more about!
We are an equal opportunity employer and value diversity at our company. We do not discriminate on the basis of race, religion, color, national origin, gender, sexual orientation, age, marital status, veteran status, or disability status.