The Defense Ventures Team
Shift’s Defense Ventures team is on a four-year mission to create the best in class industry immersion upskilling experience for employees of the U.S. Military. Our program places over 800 members of the Department of Defense, in the midst of their career, into leading venture capital and technology businesses across Silicon Valley and the United States. We are using these experiences to develop a talent platform that will allow us to assess, select, and track emerging innovators through the program and beyond.
Location: Shift is headquartered in San Francisco, but the Defense Ventures Team is primarily remote. We are open to candidates based anywhere in the United States, but we have strong preferences for San Francisco, New York City, Washington DC, and Austin, TX. Once it is safe to travel, there will be some travel required, and you should expect to travel for the program and co-location workshops for approximately 6 weeks of the year.
You will join a team of innovators, builders and operators who are defining new products and services, working together to define the value proposition and bring them to market. In 2021, we will be placing ~200 employees of the Department of Defense at top technology and venture capital companies across the country.
We will be looking to you to be the coach of our Defense Ventures team, responsible for Fellow engagement and experience., both during and after the program. If you are someone who is passionate about helping others reach their full potential, and are energized by empowering growth across an inclusive community, we’d love to talk to you. You would be responsible for delivering on the following:
- Provides day to day oversight of fellows as they progress through their journey
- Designs, develops and delivers a vibrant community experience
- Fosters collaboration, communication, and connection within and across cohorts
- Creates inspiration, aspiration and excitement across the community platform
- A streamlined structure and initiatives that drives the generation and delivery of community storytelling that inspires enrollment and elevates awareness
- Identify new opportunities to attract additional military talent to our community by working closely with the Marketing team to tell the story of our career development mission
- Technologically enabled engagement that is constantly evolving and dynamic
- Be creative, agile and intentional in leveraging dynamic and intuitive technology to amplify the experience of current fellows and alumni
- Measure, contextualize, and optimize alumni engagement
- Leverages Alumni as Ambassadors to create belonging and mentorship across cohorts
- Ensures fellows are well prepared for engagements and that feedback loops are thriving
- Serve as the subject-matter expert on alumni engagement across the enterprise.
- Build compelling initiatives to bring Shift’s culture norms to life & inspire employees
- Create a roadmap to promote and achieve a culture of excellence and engagement
- Enables community leaders in the network to engage effectively with the community
Qualified candidates should have:
- A track record (5-7+ years) in successfully executing components of the community engagement function with an emphasis on employee experience and alumni networks
- Experience with the US military, and/or venture capital organizations preferred
- Exceptional oral and written communication and influencing skills at all levels within an organization, and externally on behalf of the company
- Understanding of how to use Slack, or other collaborative workspaces
- Demonstrated ability to communicate complex concepts concisely and clearly
- Highly responsible, self-motivated, and able to thrive and meet deadlines in an energetic, fast-paced and sometimes non-linear environment
- Reliable and collaborative, a promoter of diversity
Founded in 2016 and based in San Francisco, California, Shift is a labor marketplace for current and former members of the U.S. Military to discover careers, acquire and demonstrate new skills, and embark upon new job experiences at the best companies in the United States. From active duty service members in the midst of their military career to veterans who have made the transition to civilian life, Shift’s community platform allows its members to engage in career development services that keep them competitive in the current and future economy. Shift’s talent acquisition services provide our corporate partners with a talent pipeline of diverse, non-traditional, experienced and prepared candidates. Shift is a veteran-founded small business backed by Andreessen Horowitz, Expa, and Structure Capital.
Perks + Benefits
We offer competitive and comprehensive packages. Our benefits offering includes 401k, medical, dental, and vision insurance. Employees have the option to choose from a range of PPO and HMO plans. We also offer pre-tax commuter benefits, pre-tax FSA and Dependent Care FSA plans, as well as flexible PTO, and ten paid holidays. There are additional perks and benefits, which we are happy to tell you more about!
We are an equal opportunity employer and value diversity at our company. We do not discriminate on the basis of race, religion, color, national origin, gender, sexual orientation, age, marital status, veteran status, or disability status.