The Defense Ventures Team
Shift’s Defense Ventures team is on a four-year mission to create the best in class industry immersion upskilling experience for employees of the U.S. Military. Our program creates innovative learning experiences that place members of the Department of Defense, in the midst of their career, into leading venture capital and technology businesses across Silicon Valley and the United States. We are using these experiences to develop a talent platform that will allow us to assess, select, and track emerging innovators through the program and beyond.
While we know why Shift exists, and how we want to approach what we do, what we do at Shift is developing and changing fast. You will join a team of innovators, builders and operators who are defining new products and services, working together to define the value proposition and bring them to market.
Serving as the key operations member of the Defense Ventures team, we will be looking for you to maintain the operational excellence and day to day operations of the members of the cohorts (we call them fellows) that make up our flagship industry immersion program. Given our traction with our current partners and federal government business, we expect this program to grow significantly over the next year. If you are someone who has an understanding and experience across the major components of program management and are looking for a growth opportunity with a mission driven dynamic and expanding program, we want to talk to you!
- Establish and deliver day to day operational excellence for the Defense Ventures Team.
- Identifying, refining, prioritizing and tracking our program’s operational tasks against our priorities and contractual obligations.
- Determine, establish, and track the success KPIs to ensure that the program is performing as expected and delivering outcomes.
- Develop reporting artifacts that are repeatable and systematic that communicate team success criteria and KPIs.
- Track that our Government contract milestones are developed and delivered in a timely and well received manner, and that milestones are invoiced for completed work on the program.
- Ensure infrastructure to support the onboarding and the day to day experience of our fellows and alumni is available and accessible to our Fellows and Shift Team Member, and that our fellows and alumni are able to access and use those systems to enhance their experience with Shift.
- Maintain quality engagement with our fellows. You have a sense of the current cohort environment, you are engaging in our community, you are driving cohort conversations forward to increased engagement with one another and our core learning objectives.
- Cultivate an atmosphere of quality, excellence, and collaboration within our team and within our program’s community.
Qualified candidates should have/be:
- Demonstrated experience in managing and delivering service-related operations, client service, rigorous academic co-curricular programs, or membership-driven communities.
- Familiarity in developing and running notable learning and development programs. Experience with talent assessment, recruiting and admissions is also beneficial.
- Experience in developing and delivering technology supported customer experiences.
- Experience with federal business practices and/or venture capital preferred.
- Proven ability to tactically evaluate and implement programs and initiatives.
- Highly responsible, self-motivated, and able to thrive and meet deadlines in an energetic, fast-paced and sometimes non-linear environment.
- Dynamic problem solving and critical thinking skills.
- Comfort building iterative program development in an entrepreneurial setting.
- A promoter and champion of diversity initiatives.
Founded in 2016 and based in San Francisco, California, Shift is a career advancement company for current and former members of the U.S. Military to discover careers, acquire and demonstrate new skills, and embark upon new job experiences at the best companies in the United States. From active duty service members in the midst of their military career to veterans who have made the transition to civilian life, Shift’s community platform allows its members to engage in career development services that keep them competitive in the current and future economy. Shift’s talent acquisition services provide our corporate partners with a talent pipeline of diverse, non-traditional, experienced and prepared candidates. Shift is a veteran-founded small business backed by Andreessen Horowitz, Expa, and Structure Capital.