Founded in 2016 and based in San Francisco, California, Shift is a labor marketplace for current and former members of the U.S. Military to discover careers, acquire and demonstrate new skills, and embark upon new job experiences at the best companies in the United States. From active duty service members in the midst of their military career to veterans who have made the transition to civilian life, Shift’s community platform allows its members to engage in career development services that keep them competitive in the current and future economy. Shift’s talent acquisition services provide our corporate partners with a talent pipeline of diverse, non-traditional, experienced and prepared candidates. Shift is a veteran-founded small business backed by Andreessen Horowitz, Expa, and Structure Capital.
As People Operations Lead, we are looking for an experienced HR and talent professional to develop and scale the HR practices. The People Operations Lead will work directly with our leadership team to ensure our success around all things people, as the firm prepares for rapid growth in the coming months and years.
We’re looking for someone adept at shaping cross-functional team culture at a startup. The ideal candidate will have effective consultative skills and passion for managing the details, someone who would thrive in an ever-changing environment and is willing to contribute wherever necessary.
The People Operations Lead is the point of contact for employees with HR-related needs and is responsible for the employee experience from onboarding onwards. This is a hands-on role involved in many facets of HR - including Benefits Administration, Onboarding, L&D, Employee Relations, Rewards and Recognition, and compliance.
What You'll Do
- Develop strategy and manage activities across the employee lifecycle, including on-boarding, compensation review, employee engagement, retention initiatives, etc.
- Maintain knowledge of current, local employment laws, best practices and ensure Shift policies are legally compliant
- Coach and develop relationships within the organization while inspiring a culture of personal accountability, execution, collaboration and positivity. Champion Diversity, Equity & Inclusion efforts across the organization in order to ensure an inclusive work environment that fosters belonging
- Oversee benefits administration, annual open enrollment, HR compliance and other miscellaneous HR processes
- Manage onboarding, including employee training schedules, new hire communications, onboarding surveys and HR systems entries
- Assist with the communication and rollout of new or updated HR programs and policies
- Be a pro-active expert in running payroll, keeping administration up to date, as well as leading point of contact with our outsourced HR/PEO, Sequoia One
- Continuously improve and benchmark HR related processes
- Develop and organise training and development to optimize performance, create organizational depth and individual growth for members
- Provide strategic and tactical expertise to company Leadership in the areas of performance management, leadership, succession, and conflict management
- Maintain knowledge of local employment laws and ensure Shift’s policies are compliant
- Lead the promotion of the company culture and ensure that company core values are showcased to those outside the company
- Design and execute people program activities
- Work with the Community Director to develop positive team culture, plan internal events, increase employee wellness initiatives and team building activities
What We’re Looking For
- 3+ years experience in a HR/People Operations role
- Demonstrated background evaluating and implementing People programs and initiatives across HR generalist functions including building culture, onboarding, compensation planning, benefits, performance, learning, and employee relations
- ATS experience (Greenhouse preferred); recruiting operations experience preferred
- Track record of scaling systems and processes in an ambiguous environment
- Commitment to continuous learning and improvement, always looking for ways to make things more efficient, automated, and better for employees and the company
- Great communicator with the ability to influence people effectively across multiple levels & functions, an intentional relationship builder at all levels of an organization :)
- Passionate about nurturing a culture that supports the development of amazing work in a mission-driven environment
- High degree of integrity with the ability to handle confidential, and sometimes highly sensitive matters in the appropriate manner.
- An employee champion, someone who resolves conflicts and creates a supportive work environment with strong relationship management skills and influencing capability
- A “people person" – the ability to connect people and meet them where they are, while being able to deliver messages in a simple, concise manner
- Natural problem solver with an entrepreneurial spirit, one who is comfortable overcoming obstacles with minimal oversight
- Self-starter who is resourceful and capable of working in a fast-paced environment
- A progressive mindset; you are innovative, passionate and entrepreneurial with proven ability to influence and drive change aligning people strategy with business goals
- Strong project management and organization skills with high attention to detail
- Experience in a venture-backed startup or high-growth company preferred
- Passionate about improving diversity & inclusion across industries
Perks & Benefits
We offer competitive and comprehensive packages. Our benefits offering includes 401k with a match, medical, dental, and vision insurance. Employees have the option to choose from a range of PPO, HMO and Kaiser plans and receive a free One Medical membership with a location around the corner from our office. We also offer pre-tax commuter benefits, pre-tax FSA and Dependent Care FSA plans, as well as flexible PTO, and ten paid holidays. There are additional perks and benefits, which we are happy to tell you more about!
We are an equal opportunity employer and value diversity at our company. We do not discriminate on the basis of race, religion, color, national origin, gender, sexual orientation, age, marital status, veteran status, or disability status.