Founded in 2016 and based in San Francisco, California, Shift is a labor marketplace for current and former members of the U.S. Military to discover careers, acquire and demonstrate new skills, and embark upon new job experiences at the best companies in the United States. From active duty service members in the midst of their military career to veterans who have made the transition to civilian life, Shift’s community platform allows its members to engage in career development services that keep them competitive in the current and future economy. Shift’s talent acquisition services provide our corporate partners with a talent pipeline of diverse, non-traditional, experienced and prepared candidates. Shift is a veteran-founded small business backed by Andreessen Horowitz, Expa, and Structure Capital.
As a product designer, you are a member of the Design team under the EDP (Engineering, Design, and Product) organization. You will report to the Design Lead and have all the digital experiences for both our military and partner audiences within your scope. These will include our marketing website, platform experience, and any future UX’s in our product ecosystem.
The product designer will play a crucial role in the entire product design/development process, from need-finding, ideation, and prototyping all the way through to usability testing and pixel perfect tweaks. You are expected to utilize your full range of product design, interaction design, and visual design skills. You'll be working with a modern front-end stack to design elegant, beautiful, and intuitive interactions, flows, and experiences as well as own the overall implementation of branding guidelines.
What You'll Do
- As part of EDP, influence and execute the roadmap for our career transition/advancement platform, driving cross-functional execution and reliably deliver products and features.
- Research user and other stakeholder needs/problems
- Take part in weekly design critiques
- Build product plans, prototypes, and specifications with a high attention to detail.
- Use metrics to inform product decisions, iterate, and drive measurable results.
- Adhere to and build out the design system.
What We’re Looking For
- Experience designing through the full life cycle of a product: from wireframes, to prototyping, user testing and detailed interactions.
- A portfolio that highlights projects where you owned the complete UX design and development lifecycle of a desktop or mobile application
- Design thinking: you’re passionate about user-driven product design decisions and creating simple but elegant user interfaces.
- Technical fluency: you have an understanding of complex web application architecture and enjoy meeting engineers at their level to make intelligent, technical tradeoffs.
- Excellent writing and communication skills: you believe that living product requirement documents should be clear, concise, and understood by all stakeholders.
- Entrepreneurial spirit: you’re self-driven, able to prioritize among competing tasks based on latest data, and always identifying new opportunities while measuring their potential impact.
- Details: you meticulously cover everything, from breaking down robust feature specs to chasing down nitty-gritty dependencies across complex projects.
- Front-line obsession: you should be comfortable gathering data from stakeholders through interviews, shadowing, user testing and other creative methods you may have picked up over the years.
- Dedication to users: you know that the product is only as valuable as its users think it is. You don’t rest easy until you’ve understood and satisfied every question and inspired adoption that has measurable success stories.
- Expert in Figma
- Knowledge of user-centered design principles and industry best practices
Nice to haves
- Experience in user research methodologies and best practices
- Experience in visual design with deep understanding of visual design principles.
- Experience working with a CMS. Here at Shift we use Webflow, but skills in any CMS should be transferable.
- Experience with Sketch, Adobe Creative Suite, and/or Invision Studio
Perks & Benefits
We offer competitive and comprehensive packages. Our benefits offering includes 401k with a match, medical, dental, and vision insurance. Employees have the option to choose from a range of PPO, HMO and Kaiser plans and receive a free One Medical membership with a location around the corner from our office. We also offer pre-tax commuter benefits, pre-tax FSA and Dependent Care FSA plans, as well as flexible PTO, and ten paid holidays. There are additional perks and benefits, which we are happy to tell you more about!
We are an equal opportunity employer and value diversity at our company. We do not discriminate on the basis of race, religion, color, national origin, gender, sexual orientation, age, marital status, veteran status, or disability status.