The Defense Ventures Team
Shift’s Defense Ventures team is on a four-year mission to create the best in class industry immersion upskilling experience for employees of the U.S. Military. Our program places over 800 members of the Department of Defense, in the midst of their career, into leading venture capital and technology businesses across Silicon Valley and the United States. We are using these experiences to develop a talent platform that will allow us to assess, select, and track emerging innovators through the program and beyond.
Shift is headquartered in San Francisco, but the Defense Ventures Team is primarily remote. We are open to candidates based anywhere in the United States, but we have strong preferences for San Francisco, New York City, Washington DC, and Austin, TX. Once it is safe to travel, there will be some travel required, and you should expect to travel for the program and co-location workshops for approximately 6 weeks of the year.
While we know why Shift exists, and how we want to approach what we do, what we do at Shift is developing and changing fast. You will join a team of innovators, builders and operators who are defining new products and services, working together to define the value proposition and bring them to market. In 2021, we will be placing ~200 employees of the Department of Defense at top technology and venture capital companies across the country.
We will be looking to you to work with our team to coordinate the programming of our weekly events and activities across our community and curriculum functions, as well as plan our annual conference and executive seminars, virtual and in-person.
* Oversee the events calendar for the Defense Ventures Program.
* Create and own event production timelines and event comms.
* Plan and execute events logistics at physical or virtual venues (via Zoom) as lead point person owning venue assessment, online platform utilization, registration/attendance, audiovisual technical assistance, execution and post-event analysis.
* Assist Community and Curriculum lead, providing pre, during and post event logistical and operational assistance, comms, support and troubleshooting.
* Liaise and manage with internal and external stakeholders to produce and execute event logistics; confirming speaking dates/times, gathering session descriptions, compiling bios/photos, collecting presentations, follow up, thank yous, event surveys.
* Create cost plans/structures for events, produce within budget, and track all spending and invoicing.
* Compile and aggregate event metrics to ensure accuracy for pre/post reporting.
* Design streamlined coordination processes and procedures, establishing a repeatable and reliable cadence to serve as foundation for Community & Curriculum.
* Holistic administrative support to the Defense Ventures Program team as needed.
Qualified Candidates Should Have/Be
* 2-4 years relevant work experience related to event management, account management, marketing, or customer/client service.
* Highly responsible, self-motivated, and able to thrive in an energetic, fast-paced environment.
* Ability to adapt to changing priorities.
* Great follow through and ownership of tasks with incredible organization and attention to detail.
* Strong time management skills with the ability to execute deliverables for multiple simultaneous events or programs across various client groups.
* Impeccable & professional communication skills, verbal/written/presentation, to liaise with internal and external stakeholders.
* Constantly looking for ways to continuously improve efficiently and experiment with new approaches to create exceptional experiences for program and event participants.
* Competent in effective project management, research and strong attention to detail.
* Ability to work closely with the team as well as independently; fostering team buy-in when needed.
* High standards of professional conduct and exercise good business judgment.
* Strong team player who can build relationships at all levels of the organization.
* Desire to grow professionally into a progressive role.
* Literate in G-Suite, Asana, Notion, Zoom, Slack, CRM platforms.
Founded in 2016 and based in San Francisco, California, Shift is a labor marketplace for current and former members of the U.S. Military to discover careers, acquire and demonstrate new skills, and embark upon new job experiences at the best companies in the United States. From active duty service members in the midst of their military career to veterans who have made the transition to civilian life, Shift’s community platform allows its members to engage in career development services that keep them competitive in the current and future economy. Shift’s talent acquisition services provide our corporate partners with a talent pipeline of diverse, non-traditional, experienced and prepared candidates. Shift is a veteran-founded small business backed by Andreessen Horowitz, Expa, and Structure Capital.
Perks + Benefits
We offer competitive and comprehensive packages. Our benefits offering includes 401k, medical, dental, and vision insurance. Employees have the option to choose from a range of PPO and HMO plans. We also offer pre-tax commuter benefits, pre-tax FSA and Dependent Care FSA plans, as well as flexible PTO, and ten paid holidays. There are additional perks and benefits, which we are happy to tell you more about!
We are an equal opportunity employer and value diversity at our company. We do not discriminate on the basis of race, religion, color, national origin, gender, sexual orientation, age, marital status, veteran status, or disability status.