Founded in 2016 and based in San Francisco, California, Shift is a labor marketplace for current and former members of the U.S. Military to discover careers, acquire and demonstrate new skills, and embark upon new job experiences at the best companies in the United States. From active duty service members in the midst of their military career to veterans who have made the transition to civilian life, Shift’s community platform allows its members to engage in career development services that keep them competitive in the current and future economy. Shift’s talent acquisition services provide our corporate partners with a talent pipeline of diverse, non-traditional, experienced and prepared candidates. Shift is a veteran-founded small business backed by Andreessen Horowitz, Expa, and Structure Capital.
Military and veteran candidates face steep barriers when transitioning into new career fields. The insular nature of military life and culture often leaves these candidates unfamiliar with the array of career opportunities available, the unique cultural nuances and talent acquisition methods common to their prospective new fields, and the “table stakes” skills and aptitudes required for entry into these new fields.
Shift’s Career Accelerator initiative is designed to help transitioning servicemembers and veterans navigate these challenges, taking a candidate from the point of indicating interest in a field to being interview ready, armed with the knowledge and resources required to compete for roles in their desired fields. Our goal is not to be a skills academy - we will not, for example, train and certify candidates in our Sales Accelerator on the use of Salesforce. Rather, our Sales Accelerator will highlight Salesforce as a platform prospective salespeople will need to learn and point them to resources that will provide them with a Salesforce credential.
Career Accelerators provide an overview of a candidate’s chosen career field; information about career paths and progression; insight on role-specific skills, platforms, and tools; and coaching on personal branding materials (resume, LinkedIn profile, etc.). Upon completion of a Career Accelerator, our aim is not only that the candidate will excel in the interview process, but will retain a sense of community with their classmates and loyalty to Shift, such that they come back in the future to serve as instructors and mentors for our programs.
Shift is seeking a program manager to join our Career Accelerators team, with primary responsibility for our “Breaking Into Project Management” accelerator. With oversight from the VP of Community & Career Discovery and the Career Accelerators Lead, this individual will be the end-to-end owner responsible for program execution and maintenance. This includes but is not limited to:
● Admissions Process Support: Partner with the Manager of Admissions & Candidate Support to monitor and refine the program admissions process and criteria to ensure a steady pipeline of outstanding candidates into the program and subsequently to Shift’s hiring partners.
● Cohort Management and Curriculum Delivery: Conduct all necessary activities to run the program day-to-day, including but not limited to taking attendance, reviewing and approving student resumes and LinkedIn profiles, hosting office hours, approving candidates for Talent Spotlight, facilitating expert presentations and breakout session activities, etc.
● Curriculum Management: Continually monitor and assess curriculum effectiveness via conversations with participants and post-course survey data. Partner with industry experts to evaluate and update curriculum to ensure it remains relevant and modern based on changes to the career field.
● Student Community Engagement: Within our learning management system, engage with students in discussion, creating discussion prompts, answering questions, encouraging conversation, and fostering relationships within and across cohorts.
● Expert Network Management: Build and manage a network of industry experts to serve as guest speakers, panelists, and mentors to students. Conduct expert outreach, screening, onboarding, and ongoing engagement; continually re-evaluate the expert network to ensure that appropriate and diverse voices are represented in the curriculum.
● Innovate at Will: As the program owner, continue to push the envelope across all dimensions of program design and delivery to ensure that we are delivering a truly world-class employment resource to the military community.
IMPORTANT: The ideal candidate will need to be available within the next 30 days
About You- Desired Background:
● Two or more years of project management experience in a civilian environment. Recently transitioned veterans will be considered, but priority will be given to those who can more meaningfully represent for our students a successful transition from military to civilian life. The ideal candidate likely sees this as a “tour of duty” - a way to give back to the community for a few years in between roles progressing as a project manager.
● Willingness to work evenings in service to the military community. All of our cohorts are delivered after work hours in order to cater to our students work / duty schedules. Accordingly, your work day will start later than usual and end later than usual.
● Military service is strongly desired but not required. Ultimately we are looking for someone who understands the nuances of transitioning from military to civilian life, and specifically in a project management context. Military spouses also make strong candidates for this role.
● Ability to thrive as an independent actor. We’re looking for a self-starter, someone who requires little guidance and supervision and can take a broad mission, break it down into manageable tasks, and excel. Your onboarding phase will be very brief - we’re looking for someone who can dive in and make an impact quickly.
● Ability to work remotely. Shift’s team is entirely virtual - if you require a physical office and daily, in-person interactions with your colleagues to be productive or to drive initiatives to success, this role is not for you. We spend our days on Slack, Zoom, and collaborating in the Google Suite, so strong and timely communication using these tools is a must.
● Comfort with public speaking and stakeholder engagement. This individual will be the face of Shift to program participants. They must possess self confidence and strong presence, and be comfortable interviewing experts in front of a large (virtual) audience, pushing back on panelists who are wandering or off-topic to ensure learning objectives are met, reaching out to senior leaders to invite them to participate, etc.
● Systematic thinking. You must have the ability to manage many different tasks simultaneously and deliver on deadlines without fail.
● Experience with online learning management systems is preferred but not required. We can teach you how to use our LMS, but if you’ve worked with one before, that’s a plus.
● Flexibility and adaptability. Shift is a startup - we move quickly and pivot quickly as needed. You may be asked to fill in for the program manager of a different Career Accelerator, change the structure of the program, design an entirely new program framework, etc. The ability to thrive in ambiguity is key. Rigidity and a “color inside the lines” mentality will not succeed in this role. You may be asked to fill in temporarily to lead a different career accelerator as needed to cover for other program managers (Breaking Into Sales, Breaking Into Customer Success, etc.)
Perks & Benefits
We offer competitive and comprehensive packages. Our benefits offering includes 401k with a match, medical, dental, and vision insurance. Employees have the option to choose from a range of PPO, HMO and Kaiser plans and receive a free One Medical membership with a location around the corner from our office. We also offer pre-tax commuter benefits, pre-tax FSA and Dependent Care FSA plans, as well as flexible PTO, and ten paid holidays. There are additional perks and benefits, which we are happy to tell you more about!
We are an equal opportunity employer and value diversity at our company. We do not discriminate on the basis of race, religion, color, national origin, gender, sexual orientation, age, marital status, veteran status, or disability status.