Shift is a mission-driven career advancement company for the military community. We develop great people through immersive programs, focused communities, and relevant content so that they may better transition from their service and push forward in their careers. We are backed by terrific investors including Andreessen Horowitz, Structure Capital, Expa, BoxGroup, PeopleTech Partners, and Tim Ferriss.
We are looking for a seasoned backend engineer who is passionate about system design, architecture, and data schema and API services and integrations. Reporting to the VP of Engineering, you will work with Product and Engineering teams to design and improve our data infrastructure and integrity, integration pipelines, and design and architect our systems and API to support multiple products in the marketplace.
Our stack includes:
Here's what you'll do
- Build APIs to support our growing GraphQL data clients
- Ensure the stability, consistency, extensibility and security of our third party API integrations
- Collaborate to design and build data schema and services to drive our marketplace
- Write clean, scalable, well-tested services code
- Mentor junior engineers and standardize our best practices on the backend
- Maintain and advocate for standards, design and tests in code reviews
- Ensure developer experience and tooling is optimized for efficiency and quality
- History of delivering scalable, tested products
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills
- Collaborative and team oriented when building solutions
- Ability to be pragmatic and make trade-offs on requirements for business needs
- Demonstrated ability to add structure and consistency to early-cycle code bases
- Experience with notification systems including email, text messaging, Slack and first-party clients
- Empathy for business end-users, not just developers and internal client consumers
- Comfortable with composable, functional style over OO
- Accountability: you accept responsibility for your actions and the commitments you make to others
- Empathy: you're sensitive to the feelings and experiences of others, and you actively seek out new perspectives
- Clarity: you desire to bring new understanding to long-standing problems. Similar to transparency, you seek to clarify when rationale or expectations are unclear
- Principled: you stand for something bigger than yourself
- Authenticity: you understand the value of creating and sustaining a culture that allows people to bring their true and complete selves to work so that they can do their best work possible
- Integrity: you are steadfast to your personal values and bring honestly and strong ethical principles to your work
Perks + benefits
We offer competitive and comprehensive packages. Our benefits offering includes 401k, medical, dental, and vision insurance. Employees have the option to choose from a range of PPO and HMO plans. We also offer pre-tax commuter benefits, pre-tax FSA and Dependent Care FSA plans, as well as flexible PTO, and ten paid holidays. There are additional perks and benefits, which we are happy to tell you more about!
We are an equal opportunity employer and value diversity at our company. We do not discriminate on the basis of race, religion, color, national origin, gender, sexual orientation, age, marital status, veteran status, or disability status.